Explanation.

My name is Andrue Coombes, and I live in the State of Massachusetts. There are 298 towns and 53 cities in Massachusetts. It's my goal to visit each and every one of these places, take a picture of myself with the "Entering ___" sign, and interact with both the social and physical geography of the area. In this blog, I will write a story about my visit to each place, and things I did there, as well as post pictures and other things of interest. Hopefully I will complete this within the next few years, and everyone can notice how beautiful things can be in their own state if they just get out of and experience them! Good luck on all of your travels!

-Andrue Coombes

Thursday, May 13, 2010

LOWELL!



Lowell is the city in which I currently live and go to school. It was a key player in the American Industrial Revolution, producing textiles and other goods for much of the country. The city is home to many abandoned, and sometimes repurposed mills, scattered around the city. Lowell retains its mid-Industrial Revolution feel with its architecture and buildings, mainly in the downtown area. The Merrimack River runs as strong as ever through Lowell, almost acting as an artery that feeds it. Lowell is home to The University of Massachusetts Lowell, where I currently attend, and Middlesex Community College. I have far too many stories to do with Lowell, but most of them have to do with pure mischief, so I will keep it simple. One day I was walking back from my radio show in the snow, and I came across a very cold looking, snow covered man. His name was Adrian and he was looking for his girlfriends house in Dracut, but he couldnt tell the color of the bridge he needed to be on because it was a snow storm. I told him I knew where he needed to be and I walked him to the other bridge. He proceeded to tell me about his life and how he was going through a rough phase but he was making it, he just needed to figure out his life. And I told him that everything would be okay, and that the fact that he was living and breathing was a sign that he would make it. He was extremely glad to have found something warm in the heart of the blizzard, and he gave me a hug and left on his way. This was the first time I felt a strong connection to the city of Lowell.

PS, this picture is the most epic because Lowell is an epic city in my book.

Also, if you're looking for a fun and exciting trip into the realm of the unknown, try the Battambang Market located at 125 Church St. in Lowell. It's my favorite super market that sells a large variety of foods, including some wonderful Asian favorites and plenty of foreign foods for your pleasure! They also make their own food daily including egg rolls and wonderful vegan snacks including these cool waffle tacos that have rice and coconut inside. Sooo yummy! And my other favorite spot in Lowell is RRRecords. RRRecords was the very first noise record label in America, bringing many artists to this country that were unheard of before. Today its still a great place for noise records and tapes, and well as CD's and Records of many many other types of music, including a lot of rare vinyl presses of classic albums. I love this store so much, and one time while talking about doo wop and 60s girl groups, the store owner, RRRon gave me a 45 copy of "He's Sure The Boy I Love" by the Crystals! It was one of my favorite days! RRRecords is located at 219 Central Street in Lowell.

No comments:

Post a Comment